Friday, May 23, 2008

FOLK SCHOOL IN THE WORKS

HEART OF JOY: FOLK SCHOOL IN THE WORKS

My first experience with the idea of the folk school came years ago, in the early seventies, when I was a young married woman/artist living in Minneapolis - and then Granite Falls MN. I was involved with musicians, painters, writers - and I attended a Southwest Minnesota Arts And Humanities Council [SMAHC] workshop at a wonderful place called Danebod. It had been founded by Scandinavian immigrants, patterened after their beloved folk schools and adhering to the principles of the Scandinavian FOLK SCHOOL movement. Danebod's history so inspired me that I never forgot it. That's been 30-odd years ago, and there's been a lot of water under the bridge since then.

Looking up folk schools online, I came across the John C. Campbell Folk School in North Carolina. Everyone I've met who's had experience with John C. Campbell has great things to say about it. Another good model. Each village, each folk school, should grow its own culture from the ground on which it stands - but should also adhere to tried-and-true principles that support the truth embodied in all folk schools everywhere. I believe in the folk of the world - the simple, good-hearted ordinary people, who are the majority of humanity. These are the people who will feel truly supported by folk schools, and these are the people who carry that great gift for humanity and the planet: common sense. Common sense, good will, stick-to-itiveness, all done with practical down-to-earth love. Folk School!

1 comment:

resumedocket said...

I found this informative and interesting blog so i think so its very useful and knowledge able.I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me.


Resume Writing Service